11 Readers
21 Stalking
invoguewithbooks

Munira @ In Vogue with Books

Mostly YA obsessed, my blog reflects it A LOT. It features books from NA & other fiction too. I share all my book rants there, post mostly spoiler-free reviews & many other bookish and non-bookish stuff :D

Currently In Vogue with

Sherrie Cronin
Chaos Children
B.C. Sirrom
All the Lovely Creatures
Emily Joyner, C.C. Hartley, Charlotte Dhark, S.J. Bell, B.C. Sirrom, Lisa Goldman, Rebecca Nolan, Mark Mackey, Jennifer Rainey, L. M. Smith
The Demon's Daughter - Paula Altenburg ALSO CROSS POSTED ON MY BLOG HERE
At the beginning let's say what I didn't like. I didn't like the cover. I am not at all a fan of western stuff, western setting or outlook give me a feeling of sun and heat and I HATE heat! I do NOT like cowboy hat or apparel...and seriously I still have no idea that why on earth a 'slayer' would wear such skimpy clothes? Isn't he supposed to..like, kill demons? :o (Well it's not like I'm asking for a knight in a shining armor but a little more clothes would have been better!) And apart from the fact that I didn't like the name 'Desire' on a priestess (it could have wonderfully fit if she wasn't one) guess everything else is fine.
The opening of the story is really wonderful and interesting. It reminded me of the style Medias Res, where the story starts fro the middle of things. As I kept on reading I found out about goddesses and demons. Goddesses are for life, nourishment and prosperity whereas the demons are for mishaps, anarchy and chaos. In one word, goddesses are good and demons are evil (so stereotypical huh?)
In this never ending war between the two parties, humans, specifically women seem to be the biggest victims. Since the goddesses have abandoned the earth and it is inhabited by demons and humans only, the demons seem to act at their sweet will. They violently invade women, forces and ravishes them often leaving them pregnant with demon "spawns" that even kills their mothers at the very birth. These spawns are seen as harmful and dangerous and both humans and demons kill them at their very sight.
The real twist is when it's seen that it's actually a goddess who fell in love with a demon and got pregnant afterwards. It's her who we see delivering a baby while counting her last. This baby, Airie, secluded from the world and raised by a Priestess, have no idea about her origin. But there are some who knows there is a female "spawn" who needs to be killed for "peace and justice". Here comes the Hunter.
Like we see in some paranormal romances, the Hunter is assigned to kill the spawn as he is a demon slayer. Airie doesn't fit in the idea of a demon spawn for the Hunter but it's his job. He is all rough and tough, cold- hearted hot guy. He killed his first demon after his sister was made a victim and had died giving birth to a spawn. From that perspective, he hates Airie as she reminds him of what happened to his sister. But the rule of 'forbidden love' is applied here as well. No matter how much they detest each other at first, they are attracted and connected to each other with an undeniable link afterwards. They seem to challenge each other, and at times banish yet balance each other's qualities and powers. I loved the chemistry between them. Though the Hunter sound 'hot, I liked Airie more as a character because she is portrayed as a wonderful person, caring and understanding, who accepts the truth about her with dignity when she finds it out.
The Demon's Daughter is definitely one of the noteworthy paranormal romances I've read so far. The author creates a wonderful paranormal world where humans, goddesses and demons are beautifully juxtaposed. I'll be surely looking forward to reading the next book of the series.